CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

List Editor

Post by rbytes » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:48 pm

;)
Attachments
2B6ACC8C-F5A9-4BAC-A4EF-3E84DD545999.png
2B6ACC8C-F5A9-4BAC-A4EF-3E84DD545999.png (166.44 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Last edited by rbytes on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zzzzz

matt7
My devices: iPhone 8, Windows

Re: List Editor

Post by matt7 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Very cool! I have thought about something like this before, though I wasn't sure how to solve the problem of a list that is scrollable (all items are not visible at the same time due to the number of items, font size, and height of the list). I like your idea of using LIST N$ SELECT K to either (a) reset the list's scrolled position to the top and then create a text field at the appropriate location, or (b) move the selected item to the center by reselecting it and then create a text field at that known center location. I have always wished there was a built-in LIST_SCROLL_POS(N$) function that returned a fractional value between 0 and 1 for the list (where a 0 means the list is scrolled all the way to the top and a 1 means the list is scrolled all the way to the bottom). That way you could do the math and determine where each item on the list is on screen and even sync up lists so that if one is scrolled the other follows, or sprites could be synced up to move with list items. Your workaround gives me some ideas related to that behavior.

A recommendation on the procedure for editing a list: Let the user select an item but do not create a text field yet for editing it. With an item selected, the user then chooses an action by pressing one of the buttons above the list. I think this would be a more natural/intuitive order for the user: Select an item, then choose whether to Insert (above), Edit, or Delete. To allow inserting an item at the end of the list, allow the row after the last item in the list to also be selected. Editing/inserting would follow the same procedure you currently use. Hit Enter/Return to accept the edited or inserted item, or tap outside the field to cancel. All of that is just an idea for you to consider though. It might be more work than you care to do, haha.

rbytes
My devices: iPhone X
iPad 4
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop
CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

Re: List Editor

Post by rbytes » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 pm

You are welcome to experiment. I find that I can edit lists very efficiently the way the logic works now.
;)
Zzzzz