CHUWI Plus 10 convertible Windows/Android tablet
Flag: Canada

iConvert 5.3a

Post by rbytes » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:04 pm

;)
Attachments
E9B2035D-EFF3-407A-93B2-678E0C04D125.png
E9B2035D-EFF3-407A-93B2-678E0C04D125.png (295.52 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Last edited by rbytes on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 am, edited 11 times in total.
Zzzzz

Dutchman
My devices: iMac, iPad Air, iPhone
Flag: Netherlands

Re: iConvert 5.3

Post by Dutchman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Message removed.
Problem solved.
Last edited by Dutchman on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We consider it a refreshing mental exercise to figure out ways to circumvent foolishness (Quote from Richard)

rbytes
My devices: iPhone X
iPad 4
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Some errors crept into Frequency conversions.
I will take the code offline until later today.
6 hours later...
The code is back online with corrected Frequency conversion units and some new measures added. The high-speed dental drill may be of interest. Also the two color frequencies, red and violet, which occupy the extremes of visible light. Note that the entire visible spectrum covers just one octave. Yet the range of human hearing (optimum) covers 10 octaves. Try to imagine a world where those realities were reversed!

The code used in iConvert for simple ratios automatically calculates the inverse when the measures are exchanged. The problem was that in some of the conversions, I had used a wrongly inverted value to begin with! I hope the newly-posted version of iConvert 5.3 will have no errors, but in coding there are never guarantees! ;)
Zzzzz

GeorgeMcGinn
My devices: IPad Pro 10.5in
IMac
Flag: United States of America

Post by GeorgeMcGinn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm

I know you guys are doing a ton of work on this program, as I'm doing a lot of work to get the astronomy and cosmology physics stuff done to add to this program, but this version is asking for a loader.gift file and I have no idea where to find it. It never appeared in any other version that I'm aware of and I have downloaded most if not all versions of this program.

So I need to know if version 5.3 is the most recent version or if the version 5 is the most recent version. From my point of you there seems to be two different programs out here, and I think they may need to be a post that has a definite language that says this is the current version and has all the graphic files associated with it loaded in the post, otherwise it's confusing as to which version I'm to use.

I'm working on creating two categories: Astronomy or cosmology, which will cover the basic astronomy and Cosmology conversions, and astrophysics, or physics, that will cover all the conversions done in physics. I may qualify it as astrophysics only because physics exists in other fields of study. Electrical engineering has its own physics field, which I believe you've got most of them in your frequencies and your electronic conversions. And you'll find that most of the physics conversions can also apply to like fluid dynamics and earth sciences to name a couple of other fields that may have conversion factors.
George McGinn
Computer Scientist/Cosmologist/Writer/Photographer
Member: IEEE, IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Sensors Council & IoT Technical Community
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
https://www.georgemcginn.com
https://www.cosmologyandspace.blog

GeorgeMcGinn
IMac

Post by GeorgeMcGinn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:53 pm

OK I found the loader.GIF file in the iConvert 4 Beta post.

However after loading this file and running the I convert version 5.3 I now get a run time error on the following statement:

DIR Dir$ LIST FILES A$,n

I have no idea if this is something new or or what but I've not gotten this error in any other versions of the iConvert program.
George McGinn

rbytes
iPad 4
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 pm

George, I agree that the attachments, now including "loader.GIF", should be posted with each major upgrade. So I have now added them to the first post in this thread, along with the 5.3 code. There are 3 files that need to be installed at the same location as the program - iConvert3.PNG, iConvert3.GIF and loader.GIF.

The code line you quoted is part of a function that purges old .html downloads of currency data. There must be a condition that wasn't anticipated. My guess is that the line is looking in the Data folder to list the contents and is finding it empty. That could be the case when running this version for the first time. Try copying ANY file into the Data folder. Then run the program and see if that solves the issue.

If not, we will have to wait for Ton to do further troubleshooting. He created the code for the Currency category and is the expert on how it should function.
Zzzzz

rbytes
iPad 4
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Post by rbytes » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 am

George: However after loading this file and running the I convert version 5.3 I now get a run time error on the following statement:

DIR Dir$ LIST FILES A$,n
I was able to duplicate the problem. If iConvert 5.3 is run before a Data folder is created, it fails with that exact error. If a user first creates a Data folder, no error occurs.

But I suggest that the logic within the program be changed so that it checks for a Data folder and creates one if it doesn't exist, before trying to purge old .html files.

Neither Ton nor I got this error because we were continuing to use the Data folder that was created by an earlier version of iConvert.
Zzzzz

GeorgeMcGinn
IMac

Post by GeorgeMcGinn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks. I'll create the folder so that I can continue running 5.3.

I agree that the program would run much smoother to actually check and create the directory if it doesn't exist first.

And this is for those who are beginning programmers and are writing code, that in all kinds of programming including mainframe in PC programming, we try to minimize the error messages by anticipating the kinds of problems that you would run into. It may lengthen your program a little bit, and add a little more complexity to your code, but you'll benefit in the long run when users have less problems with a buggy app and will appreciate how enjoyable it is to use.

Richard and Dutchman, the above is not directed at you but I wanted to put something in to help those who are looking and just reading your posts to educate them a little bit on programming and in dissipating all kinds of errors that could happen in your code.

rbytes wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 am
George: However after loading this file and running the I convert version 5.3 I now get a run time error on the following statement:

DIR Dir$ LIST FILES A$,n
I was able to duplicate the problem. If iConvert 5.3 is run before a Data folder is created, it fails with that exact error. If a user first creates a Data folder, no error occurs.

But I suggest that the logic within the program be changed so that it checks for a Data folder and creates one if it doesn't exist, before trying to purge old .html files.

Neither Ton nor I got this error because we were continuing to use the Data folder that was created by an earlier version of iConvert.
George McGinn

rbytes
iPad 4
MacBook
Dell Inspiron laptop

Re: iConvert 5.3a

Post by rbytes » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks, George. the iConvert 5.3 code has been replaced with 5.3a. Ton has modified the logic so that if the Data folder is missing, it is created before the code line is encountered that needs to do a DIR of it.

You make a good point for program testing - to always duplicate the conditions that will be encountered in a clean install. I will modify my sections of code in the next version so that if images or animations are missing, iConvert will still run, but will pop up a message listing the missing files.
Zzzzz

GeorgeMcGinn
IMac

Re: iConvert 5.3a

Post by GeorgeMcGinn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 pm

That's actually a great idea for missing graphics. I know for the Internet, a lot of people would turn graphics off to speed up download times, so most images had alt-text field in place of the graphics. This was something that was implemented during the dial up days and when it cost a dollar a minute in Europe for Internet access. In these situations of nobody really wanted to see the graphics unless they were absolutely necessary.

So rather than a message saying graphic is missing you could just say in text "iConvert Version 5.3" make it something meaningful. You can put something in a little softer instead of saying missing graphics say "in place of graphic."

In fact, if the graphic is missing you could just change the else to put in a large title instead and not even let people to know that a graphic is missing. If you plan on putting this app on iTunes, then It wouldn't make a difference whether it was a graphics or text for they wouldn't know the difference.

But those of us who have access to the source code can see that there should have been a graphics and we could go look for it.

rbytes wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm
Thanks, George. the iConvert 5.3 code has been replaced with 5.3a. Ton has modified the logic so that if the Data folder is missing, it is created before the code line is encountered that needs to do a DIR of it.

You make a good point for program testing - to always duplicate the conditions that will be encountered in a clean install. I will modify my sections of code in the next version so that if images or animations are missing, iConvert will still run, but will pop up a message listing the missing files.
George McGinn